The Chaplet of St. Michael is a wonderful way to honor this greatArchangel along with the other nine Choirs of Angels. What do wemean by Choirs? It seems that God has created various orders ofAngels. Sacred Scripture distinguishes nine such groupings:Seraphim, Cherubim, Thrones, Dominions, Powers, Virtues,Principalities, Archangels and Angels (Isa. 6:2; Gen. 3:24; Col.1:6; Eph. 1:21; Rom. 8:38). There may be more groupings but theseare the only ones that have been revealed to us. The Seraphim isbelieved to be the highest Choir, the most intimately united to God,while the Angelic Choir is the lowest.The history of this Chaplet goes back to a devout Servant of God,Antonia d'Astonac, who had a vision of St. Michael. He told Antoniato honor him by nine salutations to the nine Choirs of Angels. St.Michael promised that whoever would practice this devotion in hishonor would have, when approaching Holy Communion, an escort of nineangels chosen from each of the nine Choirs. In addition, for thosewho would recite the Chaplet daily, he promised his continualassistance and that of all the holy angels during life.
The Chaplet of Saint Michael
O God, come to my assistance. O Lord, make haste to help me. Glory beto the Father, etc.
(Say one Our Father and three Hail Marys after each of the followingnine salutations in honor of the nine Choirs of Angels)
- By the intercession of St. Michael and the celestial Choir ofSeraphim may the Lord make us worthy to burn with the fire ofperfect charity. Amen.
- By the intercession of St. Michael and the celestial Choir ofCherubim may the Lord grant us the grace to leave the ways of sinand run in the paths of Christian perfection. Amen.
- By the intercession of St. Michael and the celestial Choir ofThrones may the Lord infuse into our hearts a true and sincerespirit of humility. Amen.
- By the intercession of St. Michael and the celestial Choir ofDominions may the Lord give us grace to govern our senses andovercome any unruly passions. Amen.
- By the intercession of St. Michael and the celestial Choir ofPowers may the Lord protect our souls against the snares andtemptations of the devil. Amen.
- By the intercession of St. Michael and the celestial Choir ofVirtues may the Lord preserve us from evil and falling intotemptation. Amen.
- By the intercession of St. Michael and the celestial Choir ofPrincipalities may God fill our souls with a true spirit ofobedience. Amen.
- By the intercession of St. Michael and the celestial Choir ofArchangels may the Lord give us perseverance in faith and in allgood works in order that we may attain the glory of Heaven. Amen.
- By the intercession of St. Michael and the celestial Choir ofAngels may the Lord grant us to be protected by them in this mortallife and conducted in the life to come to Heaven. Amen.
Say one Our Father in honor of each of the following leading Angels:St. Michael, St. Gabriel, St. Raphael and our Guardian Angel.
Concluding prayers: O glorious prince St. Michael, chief and commander of the heavenly hosts, guardian of souls, vanquisher of rebel spirits,servant in the house of the Divine King and our admirable conductor,you who shine with excellence and superhuman virtue deliver us fromall evil, who turn to you with confidence and enable us by yourgracious protection to serve God more and more faithfully every day.
Pray for us, O glorious St. Michael, Prince of the Church of Jesus Christ, that we may be made worthy of His promises.
Almighty and Everlasting God, Who, by a prodigy of goodness and amerciful desire for the salvation of all men, has appointed the mostglorious Archangel St. Michael Prince of Your Church, make usworthy, we ask You, to be delivered from all our enemies, that noneof them may harass us at the hour of death, but that we may beconducted by him into Your Presence. This we ask through the meritsof Jesus Christ Our Lord. Amen.