Composed in 1892 by a Franciscan Capuchin missionary honoring the Holy Spirit. Approved by Pope Leo XIII in 1902.
This chaplet consists of 5 groups of 7 beads. Before and after each group there are 2 large beads. It begins with 3 small beads: for the sign of the Cross, an act of contrition and the hymn Come Holy Ghost.
In each group the Glory be is said on the 7 small beads, an Our Father and a Hail Mary on the 2 large beads. On the remaining 2 large beads are said the Apostles Creed and an Our Father and Hail Mary for the intention of the Holy Father.The mysteries for each group commemorates the 5 wounds of Jesus, the fountains of grace the Holy Spirit imparts.
- By the Holy Spirit is Jesus conceived of the Blessed Virgin Mary.Meditation "The Holy Spirit shall come upon thee, and the Powerof the Most High shall overshadow thee; and therefore also the Holy One who shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God."(Luke, I, 35)Practice Diligently implore the aid of the Divine Spirit and Mary's intercession, to imitate the virtues of Jesus Christ, the Model of virtues, so that you may be made comformable to the image of the Son of God.
- The Spirit of the Lord rested upon Jesus when he was baptized.Meditation "Jesus, being baptized, forthwith came out of the water: and lo! the heavens were opened to Him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending as a dove, and coming upon Him." (Matthew, III, 16)Practice Hold in the highest esteem the priceless gift of sanctifying grace, infused into your soul by the Holy Spirit in Baptism. Keep the promises to which you then pledged yourself. Increase, by constant practice, Faith, Hope, and Charity. Ever live as becometh children of God and members of God's true Church, so as to obtain, hereafter, the inheritance of heaven.
- By the Spirit is Jesus led into the desert to be tempted by the Devil.Meditation "Jesus, being full of the Holy Spirit, returned fromthe Jordan, and was led by the Spirit into the desert for the space offorty days; and was tempted by the devil." (Luke, IV, 1-2)Practice Be ever grateful for the sevenfold gift of the HolySpirit bestowed upon you in Confirmation, for the spirit of wisdom and understanding, of counsel and fortitude, of knowledge and piety, and of the fear of the Lord. Faithfully yield to His Divine guidance, so that, in all the trials and temptations of life, you may act manfully, as becometh a perfect Christian and valiant soldier of Jesus Christ.
- The Holy Spirit in the Church.Meditation "Suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a mighty wind coming, and it filled the whole house wehre they were sitting....and they were all filled with the Holy Spirit, and began tospeak....the wonderful works of God." (Acts, II, 2, 4, 11.)Practice Thank God for having made you a child of His Church which is ever animated and directed by the Divine Spirit, sent into this world for that purpose of the day of Pentecost. Hear and obey the Holy See, the infallible mouthpiece of the Holy Spirit, and the Church, the pillar and ground of truth. Uphold her doctrines, seek her interests, defend her rights.
- The Holy Spirit in the soul of the just.Meditation "Know you not that you members are the temple of the Holy Spirit, Who is in you?" (I Cor., VI, 19.)"Extinguish not the Spirit." (I Thess., V, 19.)"And grieve not the Holy Spirit of God whereby you are sealed untothe day of redemption." (Eph., IV, 30.)Practice Be evver mindful of the Holy Spirit Who is within you, and carefully cultivate purity of soul and body. Faithfully obey His Divine Inspirations so taht you may bring forth the Fruits of the Spirit -- Charity, Joy, Peace, Patience, Eenignity, Goodness, Long-suffering, Mildness, Faith, Modesty, Continency, Chastity.
Conclude with the "I believe" as a profession of faith.
Say finally once Our Father, Hail Mary, and Glory be, for the intentions of the Pope.